Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 – A Little Info

It’s here, it’s now…well, sort of. The official news is that Windows 7 SP1 has leaked and is now available through the nets…it’s build 6.1.7601.16537. It’s an alpha release, so obviously this is not something you want to be installing on a work/production machine. However, in order to further review this update I’m installing it as we speak in a Virtual Machine, I’ll also install it on one of my test PCs. I’ll let you know what I find, if anything, later today or tomorrow.

 

Also of note is although this release doesn’t offer too many significant changes for Windows 7, it will offer some significant (sort of) changes for Windows Server 2008 R2…Which I’ll be looking into as soon as I put the two together (i.e. WS 2008 R2 + SP1). I’ll let you know what I find.

I’m currently also reading the documentation for this release (there’s actually quite a bit) and will hopefully get a little more information from there. Interesting stuff so far.

 

If I’m correct in remembering this, Service Pack 1 should be released about one year after Windows 7’s official release. That is, around October 22, 2010. Unlike some service packs in the past (Windows XP SP2 anyone?) this release won’t necessarily add new “features,” instead, it will fix any problems and include old security updates for Windows 7. In essence, it will be what a service pack is supposed to be.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment